The Gold and the Red
Here comes the promise
the words you once said,
the breaking of chains,
the unearthing of dead.
The moment arrives
to test what was vowed
to show that you care
and prove what is false.
You'll read these new words
and hope will arrise,
diminishing slowly
when you see who died.
The common motifs
of all that I wrote:
the coming of babies,
the killing of old,
the pain and the love,
the lack of what's real,
the feel of regret
to show how I feel.
And somewhere below
the gold and the red
perhaps you'll then hear
what I really said -
the one thing I want,
all that I need
just stay here in the night,
so in the morning you'll leave.
P.S. yes, I alluded to a Matchbox 20 song. Funny thing, I almost quoted hand me down, but then I changed it at last minute. For some reason this feels more right.
P.P.S. If you can't catch how I'm joking in half of this, I'm disappointed in you.

6 Comments:
When I read this, I can come up with an interpretation I'm sure is completely off the mark, but it works for me and is appropriate for the times.
I'm sorry you're disappointed in me.
so, i'm not sure what your interpretation was or anything like that, but what i was saying on the phone was regarding this comment: "I'm sorry you're disappointed in me." now that i look at it, i guess it's not necessarily responding to this poem that you got the disappointed in you thing, but this one was actually about mimi. i'm either gonna explain in the fb message or on the phone later tonight.
I was making a joke on that last sentence.
so you're not sorry i'm disappointed in you?! how rude!
Well, my sorrow was nested in the conditional that "you" was plural (here's to the return of thee/thou)
Nah, it wouldn't feel right. you has a different feel to it than thee/thou. it's less formal, plus rhyming works differently.
Post a Comment
<< Home