Monday, September 15, 2008

A Final Meal

Standing on the border
the outline
a bridge of humanity
within herself.
Pushing away
herself.
He finds
her self
not reaching forward.
Stuck in the grey
desert.
Within herself
the glass portals:
Shut tight
and
Stained.
He looks through her
through him.
Sees nothing
but
a river.
She won't turn back.
Neither will her.
Both stuck
in this place
where the mind
meets
the soul.
They stand there
together,
and sin.
9/14/08 8:01 P.M.

6 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, July 15, 2011, Blogger Blind_Prophet said...

what? were you holding hands with some guy which was against your "s word"?

 
At 12:57 PM, July 15, 2011, Blogger Penguin said...

I think this was based on a book I had read. Probably one of the big steinbeck books. I was going through his works when I wrote this.

 
At 1:06 PM, July 15, 2011, Blogger Blind_Prophet said...

he write grapes of wrath or east of eden? I had to read one of his books for an honors class for the summer. it was a tough read to begin with

 
At 1:17 PM, July 15, 2011, Blogger Penguin said...

Ya, one of those two. Probably East of Eden - I liked it more. I didn't htink they were too difficult, but maybe that's because I usually read classics all the time, so I'm used to it. I really liked most of his writing but the ending to grapes of wrath made me hate the whole book and exactly the opposite for East of Eden.

 
At 1:20 PM, July 15, 2011, Blogger Blind_Prophet said...

I need a refresher on both the books. how did east of eden end again and then what was the plot and ending behind grapes of wrath?

do not give me "read it again" response. im over classics at the moment and I have a whole list of books I want to read myself which I haven't been able to

 
At 1:35 PM, July 15, 2011, Blogger Penguin said...

I think this is a good summary of East of Eden. Sorry I can't do it myself, there's just so much detail, it's hard. The ending is really sad though. I cried even when I looked through the summary again. Grapes of Wrath is easier. It's about the great depression and the dust bowl - a poor farming family makes their way across the US to California where they hope to find work and a better life. Everything goes wrong and just gets harder and harder. My favorite character - Tom - whom the story begins with, is shunted out of the book, and it made me sad. The book ends with more misery and no hope for upturns and better life - the girl gives birth to the baby that she was pregnant with the entire book, but it's a stillborn and it ends with her breastfeeding some random dying man they find. It's weird and I don't like the ending. I dunno. I can see the symbolism and deeper meaning but the way he brought it about is a little too weird for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home